You’ve come to the right place to learn all about New Jersey Equitable Distribution Law, or what many refer to as “property division.”
Many people believe equitable distribution simply means dividing everything 50%-50%. But that’s not the half of it (see what we did there).
There are few areas of a divorce that are more complex than determining how to properly divide marital assets, determine which assets are exempt, and to following the equitable distribution factors in accordance with New Jersey Divorce law. Not only that, but even if you can agree to a split, how do you address valuations for items such as houses, cars, or rare collections.
In recent years technology has created even more complex asset classes, such as attempting to locate and divide cryptocurrencies. When people dissipate funds or attempt to hide funds, experts and extensive discovery might be required.
Although you may be entitled to roughly half of the marital estate, you may be surprised by how much you have to work for it if the other side is not playing by the rules.
The Equitable Distribution Law Zone has all the resources you need to learn about this important and complex area of NJ Divorce Law.
Feeling ambitious? Click here for the extensive equitable distribution and property division law guide. Coming in at thousands of words you’ll be beyond well-informed when you’re done reading our guide.
Or for other articles and resources, click below on the sub-topic that interests you:
- Article – Divorce in the Age of Bitcoin. Read all about how the use of cryptocurrencies is impacting New Jersey equitable distribution law in this cutting edge article that we had published in the national Family Law Magazine.
- Article – Personal Injury Awards and Property Division. Read all about how worker’s compensation, personal injury, and disability awards will be treated as part of equitable distribution in this article we originally had published in the New Jersey Law Journal.
- Article – Should I Leave the Marital Home. Click here to learn about the pros and cons of leaving the marital home while a divorce proceeding is pending.
- Article – College Savings and Divorce. Click here to learn about how 529 accounts for college savings may be treated as part of a New Jersey Divorce.
- Article – Who Pays the Divorce Counsel Fees. Click here to learn about when your spouse may be required to reimburse you for counsel fees.
- Article – Dissipation of Marital Funds. Click here to learn about how to protect yourself and what to do if your spouse starts liquidating, dissipating, or otherwise alienating marital funds.
- Article – Valuing Stock of Minority Shareholder. Click here to learn about how to value minority sharehhttps://mynjdivorcelawyer.com/equitable-distribution-when-a-party-is-a-minority-shareholder-in-a-closely-held-business/older holdings in a NJ Divorce for purposes of equitable distribution.
- Article – Assets Not Subject to Equitable Distribution. Click here to learn about which assets or asset classes may be exempt from property division.
- Article – Life Insurance and Equitable Distribution. Click here to learn about how whole life insurance and other types of insurance may be subject to equitable distribution in New Jersey Divorces.
- Article – Possession of the Marital Home During the Pendency of the Divorce. Click here to learn about who gets possession of the marital home while the divorce is pending.